Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Homework for Feb 17th

In the readings for this week, I found that I really enjoyed "Greasy Lake" but, after much thought, I decided my favorite was "Milk". I really enjoyed the relationship he had with his wife, Annie and how they were very honest with each other. I was actually a little confused at what he meant towards the beginning when he said "We had grown up together" in describing their relationship. he did list off a bunch of things they had done together but it wasn't said if he meant that, through those things, they had grown up together or if they had literally grown up throughout childhood together. In my opinion of their relationship it seemed like they had only grown up together through the events they had done together. I only say this because, in my experience, people who grow up close to each other have the most trouble being together romantically and they seemed to be completely understanding to each other. The fact that they understood each other greatly was shown throughout the story like when he grabbed her wrist and dragged her around on a rant and all she had to say about it was "Can I have this back?" in regards to her arm. I know that, while I was reading that particular part, I expected her to flip out and try to get away from him and was surprised when that was her only response. On a side-note, I also wanted to add how I loved the way he described his children, Lee and Bobby. Every time he saw them he always seemed to describe them as Angelic and wonderful no matter what they were doing.

My other favorite aspect of this writing was basically the main point of the story: How the milk cartons with the pictures of missing children had really affected him more than even he understood. It depressed him so much that all those children could be missing and had him hoping desperately that the world wasn't as bad as the Milk carton children made it seem. It even got to the point where he couldn't look at people without imagining what their milk carton would say. On a geeky note, I actually connected a bit with that thought since, after being on facebook for so long, sometimes my thoughts will come to me in third person as if it were my status. Just shows how our minds can get used to something that they automatically follow the pattern. The thing that I found very odd in this story was the reaction his mother and wife had to his reasoning for not wanting his kids' fingerprints taken. He said that the fingerprints were only taken to identify bodies which meant that the only reason to get them was so, if Lee or Bobby were taken and killed, they could be identified. When he said this, I know I felt almost hurt and surprised that that realization had never come to me before but his wife and mom just seemed to shrug it off like nothing. I suppose that maybe they had had the conversation enough that it didn't affect them anymore.

8 comments:

  1. I wonder why the story ended with him taking his kids on a drive. I find it odd that the story ended with the line, "What is everybody doing up so late?" What is the point of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "Milk" was my favorite story too, even though it made me sad. And I was really like...upset with the mother and grandmother after they had them fingerprinted without his agreement. If I were him, when he found those files on the table, I would have thrown them away. Not that that would have helped...but it would have made me feel better. Really, it shows such a like, deeper issue in the marriage that she went behind his back. It made me feel bad for him. And for the twins that would probably/might grow up in fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're on the right mindset with "grown up together." I think they were basically kids in his mind when they first go together, and going through things, facing adversity, and building a family will build maturity and a sense of "growing up" and they shared these moments. I doubt it meant that they literally grew up together..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good analysis on the fingerprints. It's almost like the narrator loved his kids so much that it was literally impossible for him to imagine their not being there.

    I wouldn't necessarily say that's a bad thing, though. (Not that you did, either)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think you're right about them "growing up together". I felt like they were talking about moving from the innocence of high school/college/single life out into the real world, which strengthened their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the narrator has gotten so tamed by family life that he is genuinely surprised and freaked out by seeing so many people out late and acting like it's no big deal.

    I see what you mean by the wife's betrayal, but she is in a power battle over "rules" ever since they had kids, so there is a larger context. And she, I guess, is not giving in to his obsession.Still you can see his side and why he got upset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the father in the story appears to be a man who is very fond of symbols. he doesnt want his children to be fingerprinted for the reason that the fingerprints are only used to identify bodies but it was slightly symbolic but also slightly naive of him to not allow the children to get fingerprinted. also his symbolic display of milk cartons and even the at the end where he took his children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also really liked this story. I wonder why he was so obsessive, though, when it came to his kids. Yeah...he didn't want to lose them, but in the end, isn't a fingerprint just a fingerprint?

    ReplyDelete