Wednesday, February 11, 2009

homework for Feb 12th

The Story I am going to analyze is "Fiesta" from our list to read for Thursday's class. I was happily surprised to find that I was pulled through that story and was actually able to keep it as a pretty fluid thought instead of broken as my reading usually is. If I had to guess, I would say that this was due, in part, to the language and voice used by the narrator and protagonist, Yunior. There were a couple times where I actually laughed a little bit to myself with the honesty and sarcasm (two things that don't usually go together very well but you get it...) he used while he described things like his relationship with his family. It really made his story believable and able to be connected with by the reader since all families have some level of dysfunction in them. Granted, my dad doesn't constantly beat me or my brother as Yunior's does to him and Rafa. The relationships he mentioned like with the aunt "you have to visit", though, was very true to me. Another thing that made me laugh was how he threw up in the van all the time and the family just knew it would happen and weren't phased by it too much anymore. I laughed only because my family has kind of gotten to that point with me in that I get light headed and usually vomit or pass out if I have to get a shot or blood drawn or anything like that. Like Yunior, I don't understand why it happens exactly and I don't want it to. It just does.

One major thing I didn't like about this story was the lack of quotes when people spoke. Every once in a while, I would read over something someone said and not realize I had just read a quote until someone answered it and I didn't understand. I understand that different people write differently and that isn't a big deal but that bothered me a lot.

As I sat here, wondering how to wrap this up, something came to me that I hadn't thought of prior to this. Though he talked about a lot of his family and their faults, he seemed to keep a main idea that he was a part of the family and he wouldn't turn his back on them. I found this to be a great theme since many people can support it. Most everyone can see a lot of faults in their family and, many times, will "not want to be a part of it" or "wish that someone wasn't in the family" but, when it comes down to it, we all will stand up for our family.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just wondering how you feel about Yunior's father cheating on his mother. It seems to be a big part in the story that you haven't touched on. Do you think that someone should tell his mother, or just keep it a secret?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is loyal to his father, even though he beats him, but seems to love his mother differently, more tenderly. Dominican culture is patriarchal so that could be a factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, being unconnected with the story or family, I automatically think that someone should tell the mother since a lot of times she seems sad and sort of oblivious to things which makes me feel sorry for her. On the other hand if I were Yunior and saw, as he did, the mother and father seemingly happy together at the end of the story I would definitely be less likely to tell the mother. Yet, I am not a part of the story and thought the dad was a complete jerk and needs to get left by the mother and any other bad thing that could happen.

    ReplyDelete