Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thoughts on Essay... besides dread

For the essay assignment, I plan to write about the story called "the Fix" by Percival Everett. I really enjoyed this story while I read it and think that this would be a great story for me to analyze further. Throughout the analysis, I plan to hit on the author's use of Characters, Motivation, and symbolism to not only tell a great story, but put it all together to make the story like a current-day story from the Bible. I say this from how the main character, Sherman, is a very round character of whom the audience knows little about and the other characters, such as Douglas, are drawn to him for either reasons unknown to them or because he can fix things so well. This is very much like Jesus and the followers since some followed him for random reasons while others only came to him to fix their dead brother or illness. The point of view of this story also parallels the bible in the way that the narrator is an observer of everything but not the protagonist, himself. I'd also like to mention the Language of the story and how the author uses it to set the mood of the story but leave the real detail of it to the reader to provoke the imagination. There are a lot of possibilities on how I will go about the writing but I will continue to read the story again and work toward it.

Any sort of advice would be nice as well. Good luck to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment